- Yield: 4 people
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Onion rice is a delicious twist to regular rice. Its a perfect accompaniment with Indian curries and takes hardly any time to whip up. This is just another great rice recipe when plain basmati rice just won’t do.
To make the rice :
- Wash and drain the rice
- Heat the water in a separate pan.
- Now in a pressure cooker pan heat oil and ghee on a medium flame.
- Add the whole garam masala and saute for a min.
- Add the washed and drained rice into the pan.
- Now add the boiling water and salt.
- Mix well and cover and cook on medium flame until one whistle.
- Once the rice cools down completely open the cover and mix well.
To make the fried onion :
- Deep fry the sliced onions in hot oil and keep aside.
- Fry them until they are golden brown and crisp.
To make the onion rice :
- Now in another pan/wok heat 2 tsp of ghee/oil .
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Later add the fried onion and mix.
- Add a little fried onion for garnish.