- Yield: 4 people
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Onion rice is a delicious twist to regular rice. Its a perfect accompaniment with Indian curries and takes hardly any time to whip up. This is just another great rice recipe when plain basmati rice just won’t do.
- Rice - 1 Cup
- Water - 1 and 3/4 cup
- Whole Garam Masala - Cardamom pods- 2-3 nos, Bay leaf – 2 nos. Peppercorn – 8-9 nos.,Cloves – 2-3 nos.,Cinnamon – ¼ inch piece )
- Onions - 3 ( finely sliced)
- Cumin ( zeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee and oil ( combined) - 2 tbsp ghee + 2 tsp oil
To make the rice :
- Wash and drain the rice
- Heat the water in a separate pan.
- Now in a pressure cooker pan heat oil and ghee on a medium flame.
- Add the whole garam masala and saute for a min.
- Add the washed and drained rice into the pan.
- Now add the boiling water and salt.
- Mix well and cover and cook on medium flame until one whistle.
- Once the rice cools down completely open the cover and mix well.
To make the fried onion :
- Deep fry the sliced onions in hot oil and keep aside.
- Fry them until they are golden brown and crisp.
To make the onion rice :
- Now in another pan/wok heat 2 tsp of ghee/oil .
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Later add the fried onion and mix.
- Add a little fried onion for garnish.
Nice and yummy !!!
It’s a quick,can’t go wrong recipe. Will certainly try it out. Tks
Sure Rajeev, do try it out and let me know how turns out
Nice and yummy!!!!!!!
Thank you Manisha