- Yield: 2-3 people
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Kerala Style Prawn Curry
This amazingly rich and aromatic yet mild Kerala style prawn curry is a sure delight to your tastebuds. This curry is sure to become a hot favourite in your house :)
- Prawns - 8-10 medium sized ( cleaned and deveined)
- Coconut milk - 200 ml ( around 1 cup )
- Tamarind extract - 3 tsp ( thick) ( tamarind soaked in water )
- salt - as per taste
- For the ground Masala
- Coriander seeds (Dhania) - 1 tbsp
- Pepper / pepper powder - 7-8 or 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- For the Tadka
- coconut oil and olive oil mixed - 2 tbsp
- Onion - chopped ( small onions preferable
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Green chillies - 2 ( chopped)
- Garlic - 5-6 ( pounded in mortar and pestle)
- Ginger - 1/4 inch piece ( pounded in mortar and pestle)
- Musturd seeds - 1/4 tp
- Methi - roughly 7-8 seeds
To make the paste
- Dry roast the coriander seeds and peppercorns.
- In mixer grinder add the roasted coriander seeds and peppercorns ( alternatively you can use them in powder form also) add Kashmiri chilli powder , turmeric powder and onions ( shallots) . Add very little water and grind into a fine paste.
For the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan. ( you may choose coconut oil or any oil of your choice( I used olive and coconut oil , however traditionally it is prepared using coconut oil.)
- Add mustard and methi seeds. Once they splutter add curry leaves, onion( shallots), crushed garlic and ginger and mix well.
- Once the raw flavour seems gone add the ground masala and mix for a min.
- Add the prawns and salt and tamarind extract and saute for a min.
- Add some of the coconut milk by dissolving some of it in a 1/4 cup of water . ( Please do not add all the coconut milk at once ) cook until the prawns look done.
- Add the remaining thick coconut milk to curry and cook for two mins.
- Take it out in a serving bowl and serve this hot Kerala style prawn curry with prata, appam or rice.