- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
This particular Crab curry is a Mommy special. I have been having this curry since childhood. I just love this curry with chapatti or plain rice This Crab curry can be as hot or mild and you like however its is exotically spicy.
To Clean the Crab
- Prepare the crabs by washing them well.( if they are live simple add water)
- Separate the Legs and the claws from the body.
- Hold the crab's body in between the palms and break open the crab with the help of your fingers separating the shell from the body and pulling it apart.
- Pull apart the gills around the body discard them as well.
- Remove the "apron" on a crab which is like a triangle shell on the bottom of the crab.
- Discard the shell ( as shown in the last pic)
To Extract the juices out of the legs
- Grind the crab legs along with some water in a blender.
- Then strain it through a strainer and just take the juice.
- Discard the pulp( bottom left pic) that remains in the strainer.
Keep the following pastes ready
- Coconut - Onion paste
- In a pan add 1 tsp oil and add 3 sliced onions saute until they brown. Take it out in a plate and allow it to cool.
- Then add 1/2 freshly ground coconut and saute until it changes color. ( do not brown too much) Take it out on a plate as well and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled blend it along with very little water into a smooth paste and the onion and fresh coconut paste is ready.
- Dry coconut powdered : lightly roast dry coconut and powder it.
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Green Chilli paste : Coriander- Mint-Chilli - Ginger - Garlic paste
To make the crab curry
- In a large deep bottomed pan heat 1/2 cup of oil.
- Add 1 chopped onion and sauté for a minute.
- Add the ginger Garlic paste and sauté.
- Add the green Chilli paste and sauté for a min.
- Add the Malwani Masala or Deggi Mirch powder and sauté well.
- Add the cleaned crabs and the claws and mix well also adda 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the water extracted out of the legs of the crabs and mix.
- Adjust the desired consistency and to cover the crabs by add more water if you like.
- Add salt and cover and cook for 7-8 minutes until the gravy comes to a boil.
- Add the dry coconut powder and mix well.
- Add the garam Masala powder.
- Add the onion-coconut paste and mix well.
- Boil the gravy for another 6-7 minutes.
Serve hot along with Rice / Chapati.