- Yield: 2 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Vegetable Cheese Grilled Sandwich
A cheesy grilled sandwich power packed with veggies. This easy to make sandwich is a popular street food in Mumbai city (India) known as the ‘Bombay Vegetable Grilled Sandwich’. A green coriander-mint chutney and butter is smeared on the bread slices sprinkled with sandwich masala that make them tangy and yummy. They are a perfect comforting classic food to be enjoyed at breakfast or brunch.
- Bread slices ( white/ brown) - 4
- Butter - as required
- Potato - 2 (boiled and peeled) cut into slices
- Capsicum - 1 (small) cut into thin juliennes or slices
- Tomato - 1 cut into slices
- Onion - 1 cut into slices
- Cucumber - 1 cut into slices
- Grated Processed cheese - 1 cup
- Sandwich Masala - 3 tsp
- Tomato Ketchup - for serving
- For Green Chutney
- Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup
- Mint Leaves - 1/4 cup
- Green chillies - 3
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Groundnut - 1/4 cup (soaked in water and skin peeled)
- Salt - as per taste
- Grind all the green chutney ingredients with very little water in a blender into a smooth but slightly thick paste.
- Apply butter on two bread slices on both the sides.
- Apply green chutney on both the slices however only on one side of each bread.
- Spread all the veggies one by one on the bread (chutney side).
- Sprinkle a pinch of sandwich masala after each layer of veggies.
- Spread the grated cheese and cover with another bread slice.
- Preheat the griller and grease it with some butter.
- Place the sandwich on it and press the griller top.
- Grill until crispy and golden brown on both sides.
- Cut them into triangular pieces and serve them hot with tomato ketchup.
- Similarly repeat same procedure for the other bread slices too.
- Groundnut is added to the chutney to thicken it however it is optional.
- While serving you may also spread butter, chutney, tomato ketchup and top it up with some sev.
- You do not necessarily need a griller to grill the sandwiches. You can also toast the sandwiches on a tawa or a flat frying pan.
- Sandwich masala is a spice mix specially used for these sandwiches and easily available in Indian grocery stores. You can also use Raita / Dahiwada masala that is a prepacked spice mix easily available.