- Yield: 3
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Dhaba Style Chicken Curry
Authentic and rustic chicken gravy with aromatic spices. A popular spicy chicken gravy served at Dhabas (street side restaurants).
- Chicken - 600 gms ( cut into medium sized pieces)
- Onion - 4 sliced ( smal sized)
- Tomato - 4 (finely chopped)
- Tomato puree - 2 tsp ( optional)
- Ginger - 1 inch ( julienned)
- Green chilli - 2 ( slit)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 and 1/2 tsp ( fresh roughly ground)
- Cumin ( zeera) - 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder ( Dhania) - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder ( zeera) - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken masala - 1/2 tsp (optional - Everest brand)
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf - 2
- Cardamom - 4 pods
- Black Cardamom - 1 pod ( whole)
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp ( finely chopped )
- In a pan add oil once hot, add cumin seeds and the whole garam masala bay leaf, cardamom pods and cinnamon.
- Add sliced onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté well until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and2 tsp tomato puree cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger and green chilli and mix well.
- Add all the powdered spices - red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, chicken masala, garam masala and sauté well for 5 mins on low flame.
- Add chicken and mix well. Cover and cook the chicken for 5-7 mins.
- Add coriander and ½ cup of water (depending on how thick you want the gravy to be)
- Cover and cook on a low flame until the chicken is well cooked.
- Garnish with a coriander sprig.
- Serve hot with nan, roti or rice.