- Yield: 5-6 people
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Gajar Halwa - Carrot Halva
This deliciously decadent confection is a delicacy that is quite popular.However interesting info on Gajar Halwa that struck me the most was that it was first introduced during the Mughal period and the name originates for the Arabic word ' Halwa' that means sweet and 'Gajar' simply means carrot. Gajar Halwa is just the perfect dessert on those special or festive occasions to satisfy the sweet tooth !!
- In a deep bottomed pan dry roast grated khoya and keep aside
- In the same pan add 2-3 tsp of ghee and add the assorted nuts adds and saute for a min and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 2-3 tsp ghee carrots and saute them for a min and add the milk
- Add kesar ( optional) .
- Cook the carrots until the milk dries completely.
- Add sugar and mix well. Add a little ghee for more flavour however this is optional.
- The halwa will now be a little runny because of the melted sugar. Cook until it dries out completely.
- Add the dry fruits and mix well.
- Add the Khoya and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve hot or as you may prefer.