- Yield: -
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Puran Poli ( How to make Puran Poli)
Puran Poli is a sweet flat bread that is a typical Maharashtrian(India) dessert. This is made during festive occasions.
- For the stuffing ( Puran)
- Chana dal - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Jaggery ( gul / gudh) - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder ( Elaichi Powder) - 1 tsp
- Nutmeg powder ( Jaiphal powder) - two pinches
- For The cover ( Poli)
- Whole wheat flour ( atta) - 2 cups
- All purpose flour (maida) - 1 cup
- Oil - 3 tbsp + 2 tbsp for later
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi) - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - as required to apply while roasting
Two methods to cook the dal
Method 1 (boiling)
- Wipe the chana dal thoroughly with a kitchen towel.( since this method does not require you to wash the dal)
- Apply a tsp of oil and rub it to the chana dal.
- Boil water in a thick bottomed deep pan and add the Chana dal to the the boiling water.
- Boil it until the dal looks well cooked.
Method 2 (Pressure cooking)
- Wash the Chana dal with water and soak it for 2-3 hrs.
- In a pressure cooker add 1 and ½ Chana dal and 1 and ½ cup of water and cook until 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down the dal is ready to use.
To make the stuffing( puran)
- Heat a pan add the boiled and cooked Chana dal.
- Then add the jaggery( gul/gud) to the chana dal and cook until everything is well combined and thick. Do not overcook or else it will dry out.
- Add just a pinch of Nutmeg powder and a tsp of cardamom Powder and mix well.
- In a blender add the mixture and blend until nice and smooth.
- Further sieve it through a sieve so that you are left with very fine soft stuffing.
- Knead the sieved puran like a dough and the puran ( stuffing) is ready to use. (You may also add a pinch or two of the cardamom powder.
To make the Poli Dough
- Sieve Whole wheat flour( atta) and All purpose flour( maida along with a tsp of oil, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder d1/4 tsp salt.
- Knead it into a soft dough as you may do so chappati.
- Shape it into a form of a well and add oil to it and cover and keep aside for atleast 1/2 and hour before rolling them into polis.
For the puran poli
- Take a chunk of the flour dough and with a rolling pin roll out into a poori shape.
- Now take a chunk of the puran ,shape it into a ball and stuff it into the poori shaped flour dough.
- Make it into a ball and roll out into a chapatti.
- Heat a griddle/ flat pan and roast the poli on both sides on medium heat.
- Apply ghee on both sides once those black spots appear .
- Serve hot with saffron infused milk ( milk with a little sugar and saffron)
You may choose either ways of cooking the dal that suits you. Method 1 takes a little longer for the dal to cook compared to the method 2, wherein dal is pressure cooked.