- Yield: 4-5 people
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Vade - How to make Vade
Vadas are like the heart of Malwani cusine. These are usually made for every occasions happy or sad. Sharing the recipe exactly how my mom makes it :)
Preparing the Flour for Vade
- The rice should be washed and sundried. Ensure they are thoroughly dried.
- Dry roast all the ingredients like the urad dal, coriander seeds, methi and zeera. Then grind it to a fine powder at home or at the near by flour mill. Nowadays ready made flour / bhajani for making vadas is easily available in the grocery stores.
To Knead the dough
- In a bowl add 3 cups of the above Bhajani flour and add 1 cup of wheat flour.Add salt as required and knead a dough using luke warm water. The dough should be slightly stiff.
- Keep aside for minimum an hour. ( The more you allow the dough to rest the better however not more than 2-3 hours)
To make the Vadas
- Knead the dough thoroughly and make small balls and keep aside.
- Apply oil on a plastic sheet and some oil your hands too. One by one pat the balls on a plastic sheet to form small circular discs .( they should be slightly thicker than pooris)
- Deep fry them in oil . Splash some oil on it for them to puff up and turn them and fry them until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain them on a kitchen towel.
- Serve them hot with any gravy of your choice.