- Yield: 2-3 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Bharli Vangi - Maharashtrian style stuffed Eggplants
Bharli Vangi simply means stuffed Eggplants ( Brinjal) with groundnut, coconut and other spices. This typical Maharashtrian style recipe is quite popular and tastes amazing with Bhakri / Chapati.
- Egg Plants - 5-6 ( small sized)
- Dried Coconut - 1/2cup (
- Onion - 2 ( sliced) + 1 ( finely chopped)
- Potato - 2 ( cut into wedges)
- Roasted Groudnut powder - 4-5 tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- Red Chilli powder / Malwani Masala - 4-5 tsp ( depends on how spicy you want)
- Turmeric Powder - 2-3 pinches
- Coriander Powder ( Dhania) - 1/4 tsp
- Zeera powder - 1 tsp
- Hing - 2-3 pinches
- Dry roast the grated dry coconut and keep aside.
- Add oil in the same pan and add sliced onions and roast well until they turn brown.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute or two.
- Now add very little water and add all the above dry roasted coconut, onion, ginger garlic paste and keep aside.
- In a plate add the coconut and onion paste, powdered spices, roasted groundnut powder and salt and mix well to form a paste.
- Make two vertical slits on the eggplants( brinjals) keeping the bottom part intact.(refer to the pic shown)
- Now stuff the masala in the egg plants and keep aside.
- In a pan add oil , add the potato wedges and salt and cook them until done and keep them aside.
- Now in the same pan add 2 tsp oil and add one chopped onion and saute well.
- Add the eggplants and cover and cook until the egg plants are done.
- Add the cooked potatoes.
- Add rest of the masala paste and water ( this gravy is semi thick.)
- Cover and cook until the gravy is cooked well.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot with Roti /Chappati.
Do try this recipe and let me know your feedback. Do like my page https://www.facebook.com/yourcookingpal/ to receive regular updates. Check out http://yourcookingpal.com/ for many more recipes. Till then Happy Cooking :)