- Yield: 2-3 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Chole - How to make Chole
Chole also known as chana masala is a delicious and lip smacking curry made out of protein packed garbanzo beans ( also known as kabuli chana) in a spicy and tangy onion tomato gravy.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo bean/ Kabuli chana) - 1cup ( boiled- pressure cooked for 4-5 whistles with salt)
- Cumin ( jeera) - 1/4 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - Cardamom pods- 2-3 nos, Bay leaf – 2 nos.
- onion - 3 (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 3 (finely chopped)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi) - 1/4tsp
- Chole masala ( Everest ) - 2 tsp
- Tamarind pulp with 1/4 inch piece Jaggery - 5-6 tsp (mix tamarind pulp jaggery and keep aside)
- Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) - 2 tsp
- Oil - 6-7 tsp
- In deep bottomed pan heat 6-7 tsp of oil and add cumin seeds and whole garam masala.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute until they are well cooked and slightly brown in colour ( do not over brown them)
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell of garlic disappears.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add all the dry spices like the turmeric, red chilli powder and chole masala and mix. Add salt and cover and cook for a few mins.
- Once the gravy starts leaving oil you may add the cooked chickpeas along with its water ( water in which they were cooked) .You may adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding water if required.
- Add kasoori methi and mix well.
- Cover and cook stirring it at regular intervals for 5 mins or so.
- Now add the tamarind / jaggery mixture and mix well.
- Cook for another 5-6mins without the lid on .
- Serve hot with pooris / chappatis. Tastes amazing with Pulav too.
Do try the above recipe and let me know your feedback. Check out http://yourcookingpal.com/ for more recipes.
To receive regular updates do like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/yourcookingpal
Follow me on Instagram : yourcookingpal
Happy Cooking :)