- Yield: 3 people
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Kadhai Paneer is moderately spiced and comparatively thicker gravy dish made with a Kadhai Masala. 'Kadhai' simply means an Indian style wok . A very popular Paneer dish that is always on the menu of Indian restaurants.
- Dry Kadhai Masala
- Coriander seeds (Dhania) - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin powder ( jeera) - 1 tbsp
- Fennel (Badishep) - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper (Kali Mirch) - 6-7
- Dried Red Chilli - 3- 4
- To make the Gravy
- Paneer - 10-15 cubes
- Capsicum - 4-5 cubes
- onion - 10-12 cubes
- tomato - 6-7 cubes
- Onion - 3 ( finely sliced)
- Tomato - 3 ( roughly chopped)
- Cashew Nuts (Kaju) - 7-8 Nos
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 8 tsp
- Butter - 2 tsp
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
To make the Kadhai Masala
- Heat a pan and add the spices and roast them until you get an aroma from them.
- Cool them and grind them into a coarse powder.
- The dyr Kadhai Masala should like this.
To make the base for the gravy
- In a pan heat 2 tsp oil and saute the onions until golden brown.
- Then add the garlic and ginger and saute.
- Add the tomatoes and cashewnuts and mix well.
- Cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Cool it down and grind it into a fine paste.
To make Kadhai Paneer
- In a kadhai ( wok) heat oil and butter.
- Add a few cumin and coriander seeds(optional).
- Add the onion and tomato paste and mix well.
- Cover and cook until the oil leaves the sides.
- Add the freshly ground kadhai masala, red chilli powder ,turmeric, salt and mix well and cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes with very little water if required ( kadhai gravy is slightly thicker).
- In a separate pan saute the cubed onions , capsicum and tomatoes, until the onions become translucent and then add them to the gravy.
- Add the paneer cubes to the gravy and mix well cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- At this stage to make the gravy richer you may also add cream ( however it is optional). I haven't added cream.
- Serve hot with rotis/ Parathas.
Non vegetarians could also check the recipe for Kadhai Chicken.
Do try this recipe and let me know your feedback. Do like my page https://www.facebook.com/yourcookingpal/ to receive regular updates. Check out http://yourcookingpal.com/ for many more recipes. Till then Happy Cooking :)