- Yield: 4 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Pappu Charu (Andhra Style Sambar - Lentil Curry )
Pappu Charu is a lentil curry that is popular in the Andhra Pradesh state of India. This is like the diluted version of the sambar recipe that is made in southern India. Unlike the other sambar recipes it does not require any special veggies or sambar powder. It is simple and easy to make with minimal ingredients and tastes delicious. I first tried it in a restaurant that serves authentic Andhra cuisine, loved it so much that I simply had to try it at home. Since then it has been a regular in my kitchen. I highly recommend trying this I am sure you will love it.
- Toor dal (Pigeon Pea) - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion - 1 ( finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 ( chopped into big chunks)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp
- Jaggery / sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Red Chilly powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 4-5 sprigs ( finely chopped)
- For the tadka ( tempering)
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry Leaves - 10
- Dried Red Chilli - 3
- Wash and pressure cook the dal with turmeric and salt until 2 whistles. The dal should be well cooked and mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions and sauté until they are just cooked and translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add green chillies and tomato and mix well.
- Add 1 and ½ cups of water to the onions and tomatoes and bring it to a boil.
- Add jaggery, and tamarind pulp.
- Add the boiled dal, red chilli powder and season to taste.
- Also add a little water and adjust the consistency, as it should not be too thick or too thin.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer.
- Heat oil in a separate small tadka pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Pour this tadka in the boiling dal and mix well.
- Add coriander leaves and let the dal simmer for another 3-4 mins.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Also goes very well with Idli.