- Yield: 3 people
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Murg Makhani - How to make Butter Chicken
Chicken Makhani or Butter chicken as we all know is one of the most ordered chicken dish in any Indian restaurant. The smooth silky creamy gravy with chunks of succulent Boneless chicken pieces just taste amazing with rice or roti of your choice. Tried to recreate the restaurant version of this recipe..i am sure you will like it and try it out :)
- For Marinating Chicken
- Boneless chicken - 200 gms ( 7-8 ) pieces
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Curd - 2-3 tsp ( thick curd)
- Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chat masala - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder ( Dhania) - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder ( zeera) - a pinch
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri methi - a pinch ( rub between palms and add )
- salt - 1/4 tsp or as per taste
- For the Gravy Paste
- Onion - 3 onions
- Tomato - 4-5 tomatoes ( red ripe tomatoes)
- Cashew Nuts - 1/4 cup
- Dried Red Chilli - 4-5
- The Tempering for the gravy
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Garlic - 3-4tsp ( finely chopped)
- Green chilli - 1 ( finely chopped)
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Tikhalal - 1/2 tsp ( optional)
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato Puree - 2 tsp (optional)
- Cardamom powder ( Elaichi Powder) - 1/4 tsp
- Kasoori Methi Powder (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Cream - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- salt - as required
- Fresh Cream and butter - 1 tsp each for Garnish
- Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients mentioned for marinating except salt refrigerate it for about 1/2 and hour.
- Once marinated in pan add some butter and cover and cook the chicken pieces.
- Add salt and cook the chicken on a medium flame until they are cooked well and slightly turn brown from all sides.( boneless chicken shouldn't take more time to cook ). These pieces taste good on their own as well.
For the Gravy :
- In a sauce pan add onions, tomato, cashewnuts and red chillies and add 1 and 1/2cup water and boil for 10 mins or until the onions and tomatoes soften.
- Cool it and then blend is into a smooth paste without adding any water that remains.
For Butter Chicken :
- In the same pan which you cooked the chicken heat butter and oil on a medium flame.
- Add chopped garlic and green chilli and sauté well until the raw smell of the garlic disappears.
- Add the blended tomato - onion paste and mix well and cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Open the cover and add garam masala, both red chilli powders, cardamom powder and tomato puree (optional) and mix well.
- Add kasoori methi, salt and sugar mix well and again cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. You need to cover and cook the gravy throughout since it tends to splutter.
- Add some water ( very little) if the gravy looks too thick.
- Now add the chicken pieces and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the cream and cook it covered for another 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, garnished with butter and fresh cream and enjoy with roti or rice.