Plain dal can be pepped up by adding a simple ingredient like Mango. This dal is a typical Andhra style classic however I have modified according to my taste. Goes so well with hot steamed rice and pickle on the side :)
- Toor dal (Pigeon Pea) - 1/2 cup
- Raw Mango - 1/2 cup ( cut into cubes)
- For Tadka ( tempering)
- Oil and ghee - for tempering
- Cumin ( zeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - a pinch
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Green chilli - 1
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi) - 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery ( gudh) - 1/2 tsp ( to balance out the sourness )
- Salt - as per taste
- Cook the dal and mango pieces together in a pressure cooker until 2 whistles and keep aside.
For tempering the dal
- Heat 1 tbsp. of ghee and 2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add green chillies,curry leaves , turmeric powder and hing .
- Add the dal and some water as per the desired consistency.
- Add salt and Jaggery to balance out the sourness of the raw mango.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and coriander leaves and let it boil for another 2-3 mins.
- Garnish with raw mango , coriander leaves and serve hot.
Do try this recipe and let me know your feedback. Do like my page https://www.facebook.com/yourcookingpal/ to receive regular updates. Check out http://yourcookingpal.com/ for many more recipes. Till then Happy Cooking :)