- Yield: 4-5 people
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Sambar - How to make sambar
This yummy goodness loved by all does not need any introduction. A great accompaniment served with piping hot with Idlis, Vadas, dosas or plain and simple boiled rice. This yummy goodness that is a combination of toovar dal and assorted veggies is super nutritious.
- Dal - 3/4 th cup
- Pumpkin - 10-12 pieces ( with skin)
- Drumstick - 1
- carrot - 1/2
- ladies finger ( bhindi) - 4-5
- Onion - 1 small ( roughly chopped )
- Tomato - 1 small ( roughly chopped)
- Ghee and oil - 5-6 tsp
- Jaggery ( gudh) - 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind (Imli) - a lemon sized ball
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) - 1/4 tsp
- methi seeds - very little ( less than 1/4 tsp)
- Curry Leaves - 7-8 leaves
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Sambar Powder - 2-3 ts ( aachi Brand)
- Coriander Powder ( Dhania) - 1/2 tsp
- salt - as per taste
- For the tempering
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- musturd seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida ( hing) - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 6-7
- Dried red chillies - 3-4
- Chop all the veggies and keep all the ingredients ready.
- Pressure cook the dal with little more than double the water.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water.
To make the sambar
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds , once they crackle add curry leaves, hing and onions and saute.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add all the chopped veggies and mix well.
- Add salt and one cup of water and cover for 5-6 mins or until the veggies are slightly cooked.
- Add the dal and mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Then add all the spices sambar powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder and mix.
- Add the tamarind water ( just add the extracted water and discard the pulp).
- Add the jaggery ( gudh) and mix well.
- Bring the sambar to a boil.
For the tempering: -
- In a separate small tadka pan heat ghee and add all the ingredients for the tadka, mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Mix well for half a min and add it to the sambar.
- Boil the sambar for another 5-6 mins . ( If you feel it is thick, adjust the consistency by adding a little water) Add salt if required.
- Serve hot with rice , idli, dosas or uttapams.