- Yield: 4 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Palak Dal - Spinach Dal
A yummy spinach flavoured dal ( lentil) makes a quick meal when combined with plain rice . Spinach is not only delicious but nutritious too. Spinach with dal is a healthy combination of iron + protein and this is a perfect recipe to combine these two.
- Toor dal (Pigeon Pea) - 1/2 cup
- Spinach (Palak) - 1/2 cup ( finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi) - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee and oil ( combined) - 4 tsp
- Garlic - 6-7 ( finely chopped)
- Onion - 1 ( finely chopped)
- Green Chillies - 2
- Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Tamarind (Imli) - Lemon sized ball
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- For Tadka
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Dried Red Chilli - 2-3
- Cumin ( zeera) - 1 tsp
- Pressure cooker the dal with 2 cups of water until 2-3 whistles.
- Add 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder and salt and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of warm water for 10-12 mins .
- Drain and retain the juice/extract and discard pulp.
To make the dal :
- Heat oil and ghee in a deep bottom pan.
- Add the garlic, onions , Green chilli and saute .
- Add tomatoes and cook until they are soft mushy.
- Add the red Chilli powder and 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder and mix.
- Add the chopped Palak leaves and mix .
- Add the dal and 1 cup of water bring it to a boil.( add more for the desired consistency)
- After about 3-4 mins add the tamarind extract.
- Add garam Masala and add salt only if necessary( since already added in the cooked dal) and let it simmer.
- Simultaneously in a separate small tadka pan heat 2 tsp ghee.
- Add cumin seeds and the dried red chillies.
- Add this tadka to the boiling dal and boil the dal for another 5-6 minutes on medium to high flame.
- Serve hot.