- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Tomato Coconut Curry
Hot and spicy Tomato Coconut Curry prepared by blending coconut, tomato and dried red chillies with aromatics like garlic coriander and cumin. This simple yet mouthwatering curry also known as tomato saar is a popular Maharashtrian (Indian) recipe.
- Fresh Coconut - 1 cup ( scraped)
- Tomato - 5-6 ( medium sized)
- Ginger - 1 tsp chopped
- Garlic - 4 small cloves
- Tamarind - 3 small pieces
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dried Red Chilli - 6-7 (preferably Bedgi chilli variety)
- For Tempering
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 5-6
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Boil tomatoes in a sauce pan for 5-6 mins.
- Cool them down by placing them in cold water.
- In a blender add all the ingredients (except the tempering ingredients) along with the blanched tomato and very little water to make a smooth paste.
- For tempering heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add curry leaves, crushed garlic cloves and sauté for a minute.
- Add the ground paste.
- Add salt to taste and allow it to simmer on medium flame for approximately 10 minutes.
- If you prefer the consistency of the curry to be a little thin add water accordingly and adjust the seasoning.
Goes well with plain steamed rice.