- Yield: 4 people
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Veg Shahi Biryani
Veg Shahi Biryani a delicious combo of Veggies and rice. This amazing flavoursome biryani is one complete meal.... all it needs is Raita on the side. Like the name suggests this truly is a royal recipe that has spiced veggies , spices, dryfruits , saffron layered with aromatic rice. There are many versions of biryani, try making this and I am sure you will be surely delighted with the results.
- For the Rice
- Basmati Rice - 2 cups
- Whole Garam Masala - ( Cardamom pods- 2-3 nos, Bay leaf – 2 nos. Peppercorn – 8-9 nos.,Cloves – 2-3 nos.,Cinnamon – ¼ inch piece )
- Ghee and oil ( combined) - 5 tsp
- For the Gravy
- Onion ( finely Sliced) - 3 Nos
- Tomato - 1 big sized
- Tomato Puree - 1/2 cup
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower - 10-12 small florets
- Carrot - 1/4 cup (cut into log strips
- Green peas - 1/4 cup
- French Beans - 4-5 nos
- White Button Mushroom - 3-4 nos
- Paneer cubes - 100 gms
- Curd - 1 cup
- Shahi Biryani /pulao Masala - 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp (as per taste)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- For the Layering
- Fried Potatoes - recipe in the instructions
- Fried Onions - 1/2 cup ( made from 4 sliced Onions)
- Fried Cashew Nuts - 1/2 cup
- Coriander and Mint leaves (chopped) - 1/2 cup
- Milk ( lukewarm) - 1/4 cup
- Saffron ( kesar) - a pinch
- Garam Masala Powder - as required
- Start by deep frying the sliced onions for layering and keep aside.
- For the fried Potatoes (3 potatoes cut into wedges and fried with 1 tsp red chilli powder,½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp zeera powder, turmeric and salt in 2 tspns oil)
Divided the recipe into three parts , the rice, gravy and then the layering.
For the Rice
- In a sauce pan boil 3 and ½ cups water and add salt.
- In a pressure cooker add 2 tsp and 3 tsp ghee together.
- Add the whole garam masala and sauté the spices for a minute.
- Add the washed, soaked and drained rice and sauté for a minute.
- Then add the boiling water and adjust the seasoning.
- Cover and pressure cook until one whistle. (open the cooker only when it has completely cooled down)
For the gravy
- In a sauce pan boil all the vegetable for 5-6 mins except mushrooms and capsicum.
- Drain the boiled veggies and keep aside.
- Keep all the ingredients ready for the gravy .
- In a pan add oil, and chopped onions sauté well until they turn pink, add the ginger and garlic paste
- Add capsicum and sauté.
- Add the tomato and tomato puree and mix well for 3-4 mins.
- Add all the dry spices like red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder and Biryani/ Pulao masala.
- Mix well until oil starts separating.
- Add the curd, salt to taste and stir well for 3-4 mins.
- Add the chopped mushrooms then add the boiled veggies and paneer.
- Cover and cook for 5-8 mins.
For the Layering
- Divide the rice into two parts.
- Keep one part as is and add few drops of yellow food color in the other part and mix well. If you don't like using food colour you may add turmeric and a little saffron while making the rice to give a yellow color.
- In a small cup add saffron strands to the ¼ cup warm milk .(optional- you may skip this step if you like)
- Keep all the ingredients ready for layering.
- In a deep thick bottomed pan start with half of the gravy below first.
- Then add few fried potatoes and cashew nuts and then add a layer of white rice.
- Sprinkle some garam masala and fried onions and half of the coriander and mint.
- Then add rest of the gravy and repeat the same procedure like the fried potatoes, rice, garam masala and fried onions
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves and finally the colored rice on the top.
- Add the saffron infused milk over the biryani.
- Cover it thoroughly and put it on a stovetop on a small flame for 10 mins.
- Keep aside covered for 10 mins.
- While serving use a long spatula that goes right to the bottom of the biryani and scoop it out onto the plate.
- Serve it with Raita.