- Yield: 4 people
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Dal Tadka - Toor dal
Dal Tadka made with toor dal ( pigeon pea) is a perfect accompaniment with plain or jeera rice. It is very simple to make, easy and so healthy.
- Toor dal (Pigeon Pea) - 1/2 cup ( washed and cooked)
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi)
- Ghee and oil ( combined) - 3-4 tsp + 2 tsp
- Garlic - 8-9 ( finely chopped)
- Ginger - small one inch julliened ( cut into long strips)
- Green Chili - 2 ( chopped)
- Cumin ( jeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida ( hing) - 2 pinches
- Tomato - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tamarind - water extracted after soaking a small ball sized ( around 4-5 tsp)
- Second Tadka
- Red Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dried Red Chilli - 4
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- The cooked dal should be soft and mush it up a little with a spoon or laddle. Add salt as per taste and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and mix well.
- In a pan on medium flame, heat 3-4 tsp of ghee and 2-3 tsp of oil.
- Add zeera and once they crackle add chopped green chillies and garlic, saute for a minute.
- Add hing ( aseafodita ), chopped tomato and ginger juliennes.
- Now add the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add some water to the desired consistency or around 1 cup.
- Once the dal comes to a boil or after around 5-6 mins add the tamarind water .
- Check the seasoning and add salt if necessary and boil for 2- 3 mins.
- While the dal is boiling, in a separate small tadka pan prepare for the second tadka by heating 2 tsp of ghee.
- Add the red chilli powder and 1 tsp of red chilli powder .
- Now add this tadka to the dal and mix well.
- Let the dal boil for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well and take it off the flame.
Enjoy hot with some Jeera Rice.