- Yield: 3 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Kaju Batata Masala - Cashewnut Potato Curry
A very rustic curry that is spicy and undeniably delicious. Usually this dish makes use of newly harvested wet Cashewnuts ( this curry with wet cashewnuts will taste even better) however I have used normal cashewnuts soaked in warm water for this recipe.
- Cashewnuts - 15 ( soaked in Hot water)
- Potato - 1 -2 ( cut into cubes
- Onion ( finely Sliced) - 2
- Coconut - 1/2 ( finely grated)
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato - 1/2
- onion - 1/2 ( finely chopped)
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder ( Haldi) - 1/4 tsp
- Dry coconut - 2 tsp ( roasted and ground)
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) - 1 pinch
- Soak 10-15 cashewnuts in warm water and keep aside for 1/2 an hour. If they have the skin on you may peel them before making the curry.
- Dry coconut powder : In a small pan add dry coconut and roast well. Roast until they are slightly brown. Do not let them turn black. Grind it fine without adding any water and keep aside .
- Onion Coconut Paste : In the same pan add 1/2 tsp oil and add the onions and fry them until they turn brown then add grated wet coconut . Roast the coconut too.
- Grind the onion and coconut together in to a paste and keep aside.
To make the gravy :-
- In a deep bottomed pan heat 3tbsp of oil and add 1/2 finely chopped onion and asafoetida saute.
- Add the chopped tomato and saute and add the ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add the Red chilli powder and turmeric and mix well.
- Add the potatoes and mix.
- Add salt and cover the pan and let the potatoes cook ( keep an eye and keep stirring occasionally so that they dont brown)
- Add the cashew nuts and mix well.
- Add the ground coconut and onion paste and add water to obtain a desired consistency.
- Adjust the salt and add dried coconut and garam Masala.
- Bring the curry to a boil stirring it at regular intervals.
- You may add coriander for garnish if desired.
- Serve the curry hot along with chapatis or best eaten with Vadas.
Do try the above recipe and let me know your feedback. Check out http://yourcookingpal.com/ for more recipes.
To receive regular updates do like my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/yourcookingpal
Follow me on Instagram : yourcookingpal
Happy Cooking :)
Excellent Simple Easy to prepare Recipes