- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Spicy Potato dumplings dipped in gram flour batter and deep fried to perfection. It is one of the most popular street snack from Mumbai ( India).
- Potatoes - 4 ( boiled and mashed )
- Oil - for deep frying
- For the batter ( coating )
- Gram Flour (Besan) - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 1/4 tsp ( optional)
- Soda bi-carb - pinch
- salt - as per taste
- For tempering of the stuffing
- Green chilli - 2-3
- Ginger - 1/4 inch
- Garlic - 5 cloves ( small)
- Curry Leaves - 10
- Turmeric - 1 pinch
- Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
For the batter (coating) :-
- In a bowl add gram flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder ( optional) and salt.
- Add water to make a slightly thick batter. ( Add pinch of soda bi-carb just before deep frying)
For the tempering of the stuffing :-
- Coarsely grind curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic in a blender.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp oil and add the coarse mixture.
- Add asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Add coriander leaves, cover the mixture and cook for a minute on a low flame.
- Allow this mixture to cool down in a plate.
- Make equal sized round balls of the potato mixture.
To make the Batata vadas :-
- Just before frying add soda bi-carb to the batter.
- Dip each ball in the gram flour batter to coat them evenly.
- Deep fry until golden brown in colour from all sides.
- Serve hot with Dry Red chutney ( recipe given below), Date Tamarind Chutney and buns (pavs).
To make the Dry Red Chutney :-
For the dry red chutney coarsely grind ½ dried coconut, 5-6 garlic cloves (small size), 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, salt and pinch of sugar.